What is Hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is a guided trance-like state used to allow one to access their natural internal resources, helping people make changes to their life. It can be used alone or with other forms of therapy. Some of the issues commonly treated through hypnotherapy include:
- Substance Abuse
- Smoking Cessation / Tobacco Use Cessation
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Bad Habit Replacement
- Pain Management
- Relationship Issues
- Sleep Disorders
What to Expect from Hypnotherapy
Hypnotherapy is a relaxing experience. Your therapist help you achieve a calm, relaxed state of being and help you guide your thoughts in ways that will assist you in changing how you think or feel about the issue you want to address. You will not be unconscious, asleep, or unable to control your own behavior.
How does Hypnotherapy Work?
This concept is employed as a tool to aid psychotherapy and other forms of therapies in medical treatment. Hence, not every medical practitioner is a hypnotherapist. It is only those who have acquired expertise in clinical hypnosis and are certified to practice that are referred to as hypnotherapists. How long this therapy can last depends on how deep the problem is. Thus, you should not expect that your hypnotherapist may be a psychologist or doctor as that is not always the case.
You may want to know if this practice can help one get over a dysfunctional behavior like smoking, drug addiction etc. The answer is YES! It is of immense to anyone having such issues who wish to get rid of them. The state of hypnosis makes your mind open to suggestions and discussions. It gives room for changes that may be paramount to tackling disorders like insomnia, irritable bowel syndrome and other issues like stress, depression, fears, phobias, anxiety.
It can help you to overcome grief and loss, build your self-esteem for public presentation. Most importantly, hypnotherapy is used to help people who addicted to drinking, smoking and taking hard drugs or who may want to shed some pounds by controlling their eating habit. also, it is instrumental in conditioning the mind to dissipate fears and pains.
All these are achieved by linking your conscious mind to your subconscious mind in order to the perceptions or the memory that may be the root cause of these problems.
What Are Some Misconceptions About Hypnotherapy?
In order to really understand what hypnotherapy is all about, you need to know what it is not about. These are usually the general belief of people about hypnosis, a misconception that often comes from movies and the entertainment world.
- Contrary to what is seen in the media section where the patient is unconscious and led to eliciting certain abnormal behavior like barking like a dog, you will be in control of yourself during this session. Of course, you do not lose your consciousness in a hypnotherapy session.
- It is no magic. While this may seem like an effective, quick and safe approach to tackling most issues that have to do with the mind, it does require time to achieve results.
- You cannot be hypnotized against your will. You have to be willing to engage in the practice before hypnosis can take place.
- It is not psychology or any form of psychology. Thus, hypnotherapist are not doctors
Hypnotherapy is one of the safest ways to help make changes in your life. It is often used in combination with other therapeutic treatments to maximize results. Choosing a certified hypnotherapist you trust and feel safe with will help you realize maximum therapeutic results.